Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Gluten Free and Corn Free Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

Thanks so much for all of your requests everyone!  I will try to get to everything eventually, more cookies are on the way, I promise!

A request came through my sister for a muffin recipe that was not only gluten free but corn free as well.  I use a lot of cornstarch in my recipes as it lightens up things like cakes perfectly.  I had to work on it a bit but came up with this recipe that I think is a winner.  I like its versatility as it can be made sweet -thanks to the streusel- or a little more breakfast friendly without it.  These muffins are so simple to put together and come out super moist and fluffy, no hockey pucks here!


Dry
¼ cup coconut flour
½ cup ground almonds (almond flour)
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup potato starch
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Wet
1 ½ cups apple sauce
¼ to ½  cup brown sugar, depending on the sweetness you like
1 egg
1/4 cup melted butter

2 small apples –peeled and grated

Streusel (optional)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp GF flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
¼ cup cold butter, cubed

When baking with almond flour, things can turn out a bit grainy if the grind isn’t fine enough.  Because of this, I like to mix all of my dry ingredients together in the food processor for about a minute to eliminate any larger bits.


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a muffin tin.  You can also use little paper muffin cups, I’m just not a fan
  2. Mix all dry ingredients and set aside
  3. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients (excluding grated apple)

  4. Add dry to wet and stir until just combined then add grated apple.
  5.  Scoop batter into muffin tin (I like big muffins so I mound the batter slightly over the top of the muffin cup). 
  6. Chop that butter in!

  7. If using the streusel, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl.  Using a pastry cutter (or fork and knife) cut the cold butter into the sugar mixture until you have a course but even crumb.
  8. Sprinkle muffins with streusel
  9. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

In this batch I cubed the apples and I found that the chunks were delicious but a little too big in the finished product, It took away some of the structural stability of the muffin.  Because of this, I recommend grating your apples.

Happy Baking!

As always I welcome your requests and will do my best to try and create things that accommodate all kinds of dietary restrictions. I love a good challenge so bring it on! J

No comments:

Post a Comment